As holiday vacations and observances approach, remember to plan ahead for the safety of your family and property. Here are few helpful reminders regarding decorations and preparations:
- Do not hang lighting or signs on association property, including streetlamp posts. Tape and other materials cause damage to paint, increasing your association's maintenance costs.
- Do not leave candles lit for long periods unobserved.
- Ensure fire extinguishers in your home are charged and well-maintained. Place them within reach but outside of stovetop and other high-risk areas. Test smoke alarms, and change batteries as needed.
- If you and your family are leaving your home for an extended time, use lamp timers to make the house appear occupied in your absence. Request a "mail hold" from the U.S. Postal Service, so that mail doesn't stack up. Advise your neighbors that you may be out of town, so they can watch your house. Arrange for someone to pick up package deliveries, or to clear your driveway and sidewalks if it snows. Using a "vacation watch" form, you even also request the Johnston Police Department make occasional and random trips past your house.
- Finally, if you're traveling by car, make sure to pack a winter weather survival kit. Include items such as blankets, snow shovels, ice scrapers, cell phone chargers, and flashlights for use in roadside emergencies.
Have a safe and enjoyable holiday!